Core Specialists in Back and Spine
Dr. John Main
About Back and Spine
When you have back pain, you want relief as quickly as possible. Our spine specialists work closely with you to determine the cause of your pain and eliminate it safely and effectively.
Back pain and medical spine problems can be caused by:
- Mechanical difficulties when you move your spine in a specific manner
- Injuries, such as a sprain or fracture
- Conditions such as arthritis or scoliosis
- Infections or tumors
Our doctors generally diagnose spine problems by:
- Physical examination
- Diagnostic tests (such as X-rays, bone scan, CAT scan, MRI, arthroscopy and biopsy)
- Medical history
Conservative forms of treatment are usually the first line of defense against most forms of back pain. Treatment may include medication to reduce pain, such as aspirin and acetaminophen, or medication to reduce swelling and inflammation, such as ibuprofen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Physical therapy is often effective because it uses exercises to improve flexibility and increase strength. In addition, lifestyle changes may be recommended, including those that will help you get to and maintain a healthy body weight.
If your spine condition requires surgical intervention, our surgeons are among the most experienced in the area. We specialize in advanced, minimally invasive procedures that offer excellent results and promote faster healing. Spine surgery involves several different procedures that target affected vertebrae within the spine.
- Artificial cervical disc surgery
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Cervical spinal fusion surgery
- Lumbar spinal fusion surgery